Dental Plaque is the soft, sticky mass of bacteria that forms on the human teeth.
Although it might not appear harmful, if left untreated it can lead to several oral diseases, such as gingivitis, bad breath, tooth decay, among others.
There are several reasons why plaque may build up in your mouth, but research shows that regular consumption of high-sugar and carbohydrate-dense foods are a major contributor.
That is, your chances of developing plaque are quite high when you eat foods such as cakes, sweets, fruit, milk, soft drinks, and candy.
This is because foods like these always create an environment that harbors bacteria and allow them to freely grow.
With that being said, it will please you to know there are powerful home remedies that can help get rid of that plaque in your mouth and get optimal oral health once again. They include the following:
9 Easy Home Remedies to Remove Dental Plaque Naturally At Home
1. Baking Soda
Baking Soda is a safe and effective option for removing plaque – without triggering any damage to the enamel.
To start with, it contains antimicrobial properties that work in synergy to reduce the risk of tooth decay while it is scientifically proven to be great for neutralizing acids in the mouth and reducing the number of bacteria therein.
That being said, it might interest you to know that multiple studies reveal that Baking Soda-derived toothpaste tends to be hyper-effective when it comes to plaque reduction, compared to traditional toothpaste.
That’s not all; there are also some other researches that suggest that baking soda can be used for whitening the teeth naturally.
The only thing involved is that you must not use it excessively i.e. you should limit it to just once or twice a week so that it will not damage your tooth enamel.
- Baking soda – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – A pinch
- Toothbrush – 1 piece
- Mix the specified quantity of baking soda with salt, apply on your toothbrush, and then scrub your teeth with it for some minutes.
- After that, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Keep using the remedy every day until you get the best results. Once the plaque has been successfully cleared, you may decide to continue using the mixture once a week.
2. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera contains a good amount of antimicrobial properties and antioxidants that can help get rid of free radicals produced by bacteria in the mouth, which in turn promotes faster healing of the gums and reduces the risk of bad breath and plaque.
- Aloe vera gel – a teaspoon
- Vegetable glycerine – four teaspoons
- Baking soda – four to five tablespoons
- Lemon essential oil – ten drops
- Water – a cup
- Mix the entire ingredients so as to form a smooth paste.
- Use the mixture to scrub your teeth.
- After that, rinse your mouth in a thorough manner to remove the paste.
- Keep using this remedy once in about 3 to 4 days, until you can no longer notice any traces of plaque.
3. Fluoride Toothpaste
Fluoride toothpaste is effective for boosting the concentration of fluoride in the teeth, which in turn helps in strengthening and shielding them against dental cavities.
Another advantage of using this kind of toothpaste is that it can help re-mineralize the affected area on your teeth while also providing a strong defense against bacteria that causes dental plaque.
- Fluoride toothpaste – a piece
- Apply a significant amount of fluoride toothpaste on your toothbrush & use it to brush your teeth in a diligent manner.
- Repeat this at least two times in a day, for best results.
4. Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame oil is an excellent source of bioactive compounds that exhibit antioxidant, detoxification, and antibiotic effects.
In certain countries of the world, it is traditionally used for oil pulling due to the fact that it is effective for reducing plaque-induced gingivitis as well as free radical injury that surfaces as a result of dental caries.
- Sesame seeds – a tablespoon
- Get the sesame seed oil and swish it in your mouth for close to 15 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- Repeat this two times a week.
5. Regular Flossing
Flossing is by far among the best remedies for removing plaque and food particles between the teeth.
Part of its benefits is that it helps delay the formation of tartar and promotes excellent oral hygiene.
Apart from cleaning between the teeth, flossing has a way of cleaning between the gums too, which in turn prevents dental caries and gum diseases.
- Dental floss
- Get a dental floss string and insert between two teeth.
- In a gentle manner, pull the string back and forth so as to extract food particles that are between your teeth.
- After that, insert the floss in the crevice of your gum to get rid of any remnants.
- Keep doing this until you cover your entire mouth.
- Do this at least twice a day.
6. Antiseptic Oral Cleanser or Peroxide Solution
Antiseptic oral cleanser or peroxide solution exhibit antimicrobial effects and they are severally proven to be effective for loosening and eliminating plaque and tartar.
- Antiseptic mouthwash – a tablespoon
- 3% hydrogen peroxide solution – three tablespoons
- Mix both ingredients together and gargle for close to 2 minutes.
- After that, gargle it with plain water.
- Do these twice a week.
7. Sanguinaria Extract
Sanguinaria extract (otherwise known as bloodroot) is one of the most common ingredients used in toothpaste and other related products.
It exhibits antimicrobial effects and is capable of reducing dental plaque and gingivitis by a significant margin.
- Sanguinaria extract – three to four drops
- Warm water – one cup
- Pour the Sanguinaria extract [bloodroot]in warm water and gargle with the mixture.
- Use the mouthwash daily, ideally two times in a day.
8. Tartar Control Toothpaste
Tartar control toothpaste is an excellent source of chemical ingredients, including pyrophosphates, zinc citrate, fluoride, etc. – all of which help to prevent tartar from building up in the mouth.
In addition to that, some tartar-control toothpaste also contains ‘triclosan’, an antibiotic that helps in getting rid of oral bacteria.
- Tartar control toothpaste – one
- Get a quality tartar control toothpaste, and brush your teeth with it.
- Do this at least twice a day.
9. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is one of the oldest and most effective ways of getting rid of plaque, gingivitis, and other similar infections.
Coconut oil is found to be effective for the aforementioned due to the fact that it contains some potent anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that prevent oral pathogens and promote excellent oral health.
That being said, might interest you to know that coconut oil isn’t the only used for oil pulling. There are some other effective ones, which include the likes of olive oil, almond oil, sesame oil, etc.
- Virgin coconut oil – one to two tablespoons
- Get the recommended oil and swish around in your mouth for 10-15 minutes.
- After that, spit the oil out, and then rinse your mouth with warm water, in a thorough manner.
- Do this two or three times a week.
- 8 Easy Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Cellulite on Thigh Fast
- How to Use Essential Oils to Get Rid Of Ingrown Hair Fast At Home
- How to Get Rid Of Strawberry Legs Fast At Home: 8 Superb Natural Home Remedies
- 9 Easy Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid Of Stomach Ache in 2 Minutes