Dark spots on the face can be easily treated to restore that glowing complexion and having back your clear skin. Most of the time, dark spots are caused by the excessive production of melanin, which is triggered by an injury to the skin.
When the skin is bruised, the natural way the body response is to send melanin to the spot to heal it. When the production of melanin is in excess, it results in hyper pigmentation or dark spots.
If you are bothered about how to get rid of dark spots on your skin, then you are at the right place, and the next sections of the articles will talk about the ten home remedies for dark spots.
What Causes Dark Spots?
- Excessive exposure to the Sun: Spending so much time under the sun or on the tanning bed without using the adequate amount of sunscreen can lead to the excessive production of melanin. This is simply the way the skin responds to protect itself from the dangerous ultra-violet rays, which then increases the number of dark spots on the face.
- Hormonal Changes: During pregnancy, you will experience a fluctuation in the production of progesterone and estrogen. This can also be experienced during menopause and the use of birth control pills. The creation of these hormones can lead to an increase in melanin production.
- Removal of facial hair: Removing the hair on the face through waxing, tweezing, or using depilatory creams can cause the skin to inflame, which can then lead to the discoloration of the skin in that area
- Ageing: When you age, the cells in your skin will not reproduce as much as they do when you are in your youth. This then makes it difficult for the skin to repair the damaged spots and get rid of the discolored spots.
It is not enough to know the causes of dark spots on the skin. It is more important to understand how to get rid of them. So that brings us to the 10 Home Remedies for Dark Spots.
10 Home Remedies for Dark Spots
1. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera has proven effective in the treatment of dark spots on the skin. You can use this form of treatment by simply applying Aloe Vera juice or just the natural aloe gel to the dark spot.
You can do this in the morning and evening for 30 minutes each.
After this, you rinse with warm water and then finish it off with your favorite moisturizer.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Get an equal quantity of water and apple cider vinegar. Mix the two contents in a bowl and stir well. Then you can apply on the dark spots.
You can also mix the vinegar with a few drops of lemon juice
One other recipe you can add is 3 tablespoon of orange with ½ tablespoon of the vinegar
You can then rinse off with warm water after about 30 minutes
You can do this by applying buttermilk to the dark spots and then leave for about 30 minutes.
Rinse it off with lukewarm water and apply your favorite moisturizer
You can at the same time add lime or lemon juice if you have oily skin. This you should do before finally rinsing off with warm water
4. Castor Oil
You can use this by rubbing a drop of castor oil mixed with Qtip on your dark spots, both in the evening and in the morning.
You will need to apply horseradish paste on your skin and leave for about 15 minutes
You can then rinse off with warm water. Repeat for 3 times in a week
If you desire a faster result and you want a more potent remedy, then you can combine a piece of the grated horseradish with a half cup of apple cider vinegar.
Mix the contents well and leave for about 2 weeks, while shaking the mixture once every day. After the 2nd week, you can start applying to the dark spot 3 times a day for about a month.
6. Hydrogen Peroxide
You can use this homemade remedy in the treatment of dark spots by combining the hydrogen peroxide (1 teaspoon) and 1 teaspoon of milk in a glass bowl.
You can then make use of the cotton pad to apply the mixture on the dark spots. Leave for about 15 minutes.
Rinse off with warm water
7. Garbanzo Beans
A combination of a glass of water and a can of mashed chickpea, mixed until a paste is formed. The paste can then be applied to the dark spots. Rinse off with warm water.
This can be done daily for about 2 weeks
Get green papaya, peel, and then remove the seeds. Blend the papaya in a blender until a paste is formed.
You can apply on the face for about 30 minutes, both in the morning and in the evening. Rinse with water
9. Baking Soda
Baking soda can also be used in removing dark spots on the skin by balancing the pH and at the same time acting as an exfoliator.
Doing this, the baking soda eliminates the dead skin cells and refreshes your skin with causing damage to the skin around the scar.
To get this done, you can take 2 cups of water and a cup of baking soda to form a paste. Then scrub the paste on the affected area. Leave for about 2 minutes and rinse off.
One of the safest home remedies in the treatment of dark spots is honey, and it has proven effective.
Honey has a natural moisturizing effect on the skin and helps in the regeneration of the tissues in the skin.
When it is in the raw form, honey is quite fantastic, and it even gets more medicinal when it is darker.
You can use honey in the treatment of dark spots by mixing it with cinnamon and then apply to the affected area.
You must be conservative about these homemade approaches to treating dark spots on the skin. Start by applying small amounts to watch the compatibility with your skin.
You can be frugal as you continue to see a positive result.
- How to Use Rosemary Oil for Skin Tightening and Hair Growth
- How to Use Essential Oils to Get Rid Of Ingrown Hair Fast At Home
- How to Get Rid Of Blackheads, Moles and Warts Fast At Home